Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Why Would You Want To Go To Mars?


There's a trailer for a movie on the subject of going to Mars. I wrote about this previously. It's the Mars One project that will send four ordinary people to the fourth planet from the sun. It asks the question, what would make you abandon Earth?

I'm a little disheartened by this 11 minute preview, because the attitude of the people for the most part is either, it's something to do or they have nothing better to do. I hope this is an editing tactic from the movie maker and not an indication of the mentality of those wanting to go.

Would I go to Mars? I totally would if I was fit enough to go in ten years when they blast off. I mean, it's a one way trip and maybe a suicide mission. I say maybe, because we don't know if it is. We land rovers up there safely, so people could be landed safely.

I'd have to have confidence that this ship is going to land safely and we will be leaving with the necessary tools to establish our little colony. Plus, I need to know the others with me are capable of doing their share of what needs to be done.

I think that given the risk, it's better to send up those who are unattached and have nobody who will really miss them if they are gone. So, I would have no problem going in that sense. If I had a loved one and knew there was a good chance I could die, I wouldn't do it.

For me, it's worth the risk. I get the sense that some of them would be happy if the ship did blow up. Not me. As sad as I get sometimes, I don't want to go out that way. The appeal of this trip is to set foot on another planet that nobody from here (that we know of) has been on before.

I have real questions about Mars. I believe there are ruins up there based on some of the things I've seen presented by people like Richard C. Hoagland and others. I would love to see for myself and make history as the first to walk on Mars.

I believe this could be an inspiration to the people of Earth that we can do great things. We should be striving to send a manned mission there with intent to return. The first to land there will have to prove that we can sustain ourselves there.

That means just living day to day, growing crops, maintaining the system and everything else that is important. It's not a joke. The people back home will be looking at the news reports of how we are doing. We need to be serous about this.

So, I would do it to make history and accomplish something to inspire others. I would do it to give my life more purpose. I would do it to "boldly go" off of this planet and explore another world. I want this mission to succeed, so I hope those who are chosen have that sort of attitude.

Link To The story: www.theverge.com/2014/3/6/5478774/what-would-make-you-abandon-earth-for-mars-forever