Saturday, December 16, 2017

Why Not A Disco Hall Of Fame?


I was just thinking what some may consider a silly idea. With Chic having been considered for the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame and "The Queen Of Disco" Donna Summer having been inducted, maybe they need a Disco Hall Of Fame to honor that music. Who would be inducted?

I don't have the hate of Disco that others do. I like all kinds of music, and I still have a record collection filled with a lot of disco. I see it as happy music to dance to. It was all about having a good time at the discos and roller rinks.

So, who would I put in? The "big 3" are in on the first ballot. Donna Summer, The Bee Gees and The Village People. Each had their hits back in the day. Last Dance and Love To Love You by Summer, Staying Alive and Jive Talking by The Bee Gees and YMCA and Macho Man by The Village People.

The first three are no brainers. Chic gets in just on Le Freak alone. Sister Sledge is getting in too. We Are Family was a big hit and was the anthem for the 1979 Pittsburgh Pirates World Series championship team. Yes, the music was big back in the day.

Kool & The Gang and The Commodores. I think there was a time when I was confused and thought they were the same group. Both considered themselves funk and soul, but songs like Brick House (The Commodores) and Celebration (Kool & The Gang) got played on radio all the time.

Let's not forget I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor. Her song is probably top ten or top five on the all time disco chart. Cheryl Lynn's Got To Be Real, I would have to consider. Maybe not first year, but eventually. Two other groups not to be forgotten are The O'Jays with Used To Be My Girl and Hot Chocolate with You Sexy Thing.

Let's end this with two other huge acts of the day. Michael Jackson for starters. The Off The Wall album got lots of play on disco and pop radio, and you can darn sure dance to it. Is he first year? Perhaps, but I don't want to put them all in on the first ballot.

Earth Wind & Fire was huge back in the day. I know they consider themselves more funk and soul, but songs like September and Boogie Wonderland were big hits. They also did a nice rendition of Got To Get You Into My Life.

I think this would be a good idea. Maybe we could keep rock bands in their Hall Of Fame and give disco artists a place of their own. Would anybody come? Sure they would. With all the music and disco culture exhibits, the actual building would be interesting to visit. I could see it becoming a tourist attraction.