Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Ten Songs That Inspire Me

We listen to music for several reasons. Music is there for us no matter what mood we may be in. There's a song for every mood, and some of us know them pretty well. Here are ten songs that I find inspiring to me for one reason or another.

I Won't Back Down by Tom Petty: This one is pretty straight forward. He's made a decision. He's taking a stand on this, and he will not be deterred. Sometimes you have to stand up for what you believe in.

Upon The Door by Neal Morse: This is from his concept album Sola Scriptura about Martin Luther taking a stand against the church. He could have died for it, but he felt everybody needed to know. Sometimes what you say may not be popular, but if it's what you feel in your heart, you must say it.

Don't Wait For Heroes by Dennis DeYoung: This is about not giving up and believing in yourself. Dennis sings "Winners are losers who got up and gave it just one more try." This is so true. We learn from our losses and mistakes, and they can help us be more successful.

Can I Tell You by Kansas: The first song they ever recorded. It's a simple song, but true. If you want to live in freedom, you have to be ready to fight to hold onto it. It's not always about fighting in a war sense. It can be about standing up against things that are wrong.

I'm Still Standing by Elton John: This is a good one for when you are down. Maybe something didn't work out right, but you are still here. You never know what opportunities are awaiting you just around the corner.

For The Love Of You by The Isley Brothers: This song is so beautiful it makes me want to cry just thinking about it. It makes me think about what's missing in my life and how I want to meet that special person one day.

They Don't Care About Us by Michael Jackson: It doesn't matter what color or race we are to the powers that be. They use racism to divide us all while they sit in their ivory towers and laugh at us. Like Michael says, "They don't really care about us." I think he's right.

Never Be The Same by Echolyn: It's about the death of a loved one but I like the line, "In each man, there lies as start that has no end, a means to be more, a light that shines it's own special way." Deep down we're all the same, but each of us has a uniqueness to us that makes us special.

All You Can Save by The Flower Kings: From their epic one hour song, The Garden Of Dreams. This lyric really sums it up, "All we can save is the love that we made." That's so true. All your money won't matter at all in the end.

That's My Job by Conway Twitty: This song will always be special to me and will make me think of my dad and how much he meant to me. Conway sings, "Every person carves his spot and fills the hole with life, and I pray someday I might light as bright as he." My dad was an amazing man.