Monday, April 20, 2015

One Thing That Bothers Me About The Immigration Issue

As expected, the president outlined a path to citizenship for thousands of undocumented immigrants (or illegal aliens if you prefer). Anyway, he basically said he has to do it all because congress is doing nothing. I'm sorry, but I'd rather see the gridlock than have them passing a bunch of laws just to show they are doing something.

Here's my problem with the immigrant issue, which is highlighted by two supporters of the president. Both spoke to a reporter at a rally. One said they will keep demanding more. I'm sorry, but what right do you have to demand anything as a non citizen of this country? Can I go to another country and make demands on them? I know I couldn't do it in Mexico. I'd be in jail.

Another one spoke of how they can't drive without a license for fear of being deported. Excuse me? We have laws here. I'm not a fan of being forced to get insurance and some of that stuff, but this is how it's done. I have a car, and I don't drive at the moment. I won't until I have all the paperwork in order.

Do you know what happens to me if I get stopped for driving down the road without a license? I get a ticket, lose my car to impound and have to spend money getting my car back. Why should a non citizen breaking the law intentionally be any different? I hear stories of how some are apparently above the laws that I have to obey.

Take a good look at the country. If the president and people on his side have their way, the borders will be coming down and things will change. Some think that will be a good thing. I say be careful what you wish for. The founding fathers were far from perfect, but that document this country was built upon helped ensure our freedoms. There are some who want to do away with it, and moves like this are part of that agenda. I am a supporter of legal immigration, but there is a process. Coming here and making demands is not the way.