Wednesday, April 29, 2015

One More Day With Dad

I woke up to the sound of the TV going in the living room. I hadn't heard that sound in over a year. I went to the living room. There was dad, smoking his cigar and watching the news. He wanted to go get some candy and more cigars. How was he here? I lost him on Christmas Eve 2012.

Who cares? He was there at that moment. I got cleaned up, got dressed and put on some makeup. If he wanted candy and cigars, he'd have it. Dad was getting around with a walker, but he still drove. I walked around the stores for him while he was in the car. He sat and people watched as he liked to do.

We just chit chatted. I didn't tell him he had been gone. Maybe I was just having a terrible nightmare before? He decided he wanted to go get a bite, so we went to Nations. He got a big burger and I ate a breakfast. This was a happy day for me, and he seemed happy too.

When we got home, I might have taken off for a walk. I like to walk, but not this time. He's here, and I'm cherishing every moment with him. I'll walk tomorrow. I cleaned a few things up around the house and watched TV with him. No running off to my computer this time. Not today.

It's a Monday? I thought it was Thursday, but he has WWE Wrestling on. We watched this together for years. It's pre determined. Dad points out once again how that little guy would never beat the big guy in real life. This is a happy day. Did I take these times for granted before? Well, never again.

The show is over, and it's 11. He'd usually go to bed. We sat there and watched news. Then, Letterman. I never watch that show, but dad put it on and I watched. This is later than we'd usually stay up. Eventually, dad goes to bed and we say our I love yous. He talks about getting the oil changed in the car tomorrow. Sounds like a plan.

I stay up in my room a little longer, and I hear his radio blasting the news on KCBS like he always did. How old is that radio? 40 years old? He won't replace it. I'm on the computer. The calender says it's only March 2012. Weird. Have these last two years been a horrible nightmare?

I go to bed and dream a peaceful dream. Tomorrow comes, and I don't hear the TV in the living room. Dad's not here. His bed has clothes piled on it. He's gone. A tear comes to my eyes. The past two years have happened. I don't know what yesterday was, but I'm grateful. At least I had one more day with him.