Friday, February 23, 2024

Thoughts On The 2024 Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Nominations

Thoughts On The 2024 Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Nominations

I try to avoid discussion about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame because I consider it a farce. I feel like the only way to really honor true rock and roll at this point is to create a new Hall of Fame. What they call the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame these days should be the Music Hall of Fame. 

Looking at this year's list of nominees, I can make a case for a Music Hall of Fame, but not really a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I think Sinead O'Connor is getting a sympathy nomination since she passed away. I don't think her body of work really deserves it. Sade had some good music for sure, but I think of her more as adult contemporary.

Mariah Carey and Mary J Blige are both top-notch artists, but I wouldn't put either one of them in the category of rock and roll. Mariah has one of the best voices in music, and Mary has made some top-notch music through the years. They should probably put both of them in a Soul or Pop Music Hall of Fame.

A Tribe Called Quest and Eric B and Rakim? No. Just no. It's ridiculous to even have these groups nominated. Jane's Addiction? Not trying to be negative here, but when I listen to a lot of '90s alternative rock, it makes me want to grab a noose and hang myself. But that's what the '90s rock was all about. It was a downer vibe. I wouldn't vote for the group, but they were certainly popular in that decade.

Dave Matthews Band is definitely non-threatening '90s music. Some catchy music for sure. There are so many bands that still haven't been nominated that can play circles around them that it kind of bothers me that these guys are getting nominated. However, I guess they fit the genre.

Kool and The Gang and Cher? Cher has been around long enough that I certainly can't disagree with her nomination. I wouldn't disagree with her being elected. I do have respect for the artist. She's had staying power, and the stuff she was doing in 70s was rocking. Kool and The Gang had some very catchy music. Some of it became popular at sporting events and I love the group. I won't object to them getting in, but I don't consider them rock and roll.

I remember back in the 1990s people were kind of comparing the Oasis vibe to that of The Beatles. I wasn't really into the band, but I kind of understood where people were coming from when they said that. I don't think these guys really care about being nominated, but they were pretty big there for a while. I would understand their induction.

I will make this point repeatedly because I think it has merit. Can somebody tell me why Styx, Kansas, REO Speedwagon, 38 Special and Boston aren't even getting nominated? If you're one of those smart asses who thinks you've got a legitimate reason, go ahead and spout it. Your opinion is as irrelevant as a fart in the wind. It'll annoy people the moment it happens, but it has no substance and will just fade away.

Peter Frampton and Foreigner are worthy nominations. I don't think I'd nominate Frampton over the snubs I mentioned above, but Frampton Comes Alive is probably in the Top 5 all-time greatest live albums. You couldn't escape Foreigner in the late '70s and early '80s. They sold millions of records and made music that stood the test of time. I think these are two of the most worthy of the nominations this year.

Last, but certainly not least is Ozzy Osbourne. I don't think there's anybody around who could dispute that he belongs in there. He's already in with Black Sabbath, and deservedly so. However, when Ozzy was counted out after being kicked out of the band, he released two of his greatest solo albums, Diary of a Madman and Blizzard of Oz. The rest is history. I don't think anybody expects Ozzy to not get in this year.

I think us melodic rock fans are keeping a close eye on this deal and watching what happens with Foreigner. We know they belong in the hall. However, the Hall of Fame likes to do this little thing where they give us fans the middle finger. If they turn around and put Eric B and Rakim in and snub Foreigner, I don't think any of us would be surprised.

My opinion of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame hasn't changed. It's irrelevant. It's about politics. It's like they're clicking off check-boxes and not really looking at body of work. There's a whole genre of top-notch, talented artists from the '70s and '80s who in some cases haven't even been nominated once. A few were nominated and didn't get in.

When I see something called The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame putting rap artists and disco groups in and ignoring those bands, I want to know how anybody who represents this supposed institution can look us in the eyes and tell us that it's a real Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? If they can, I don't think they have much integrity.

About the only thing the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is good for is giving us content creators something to complain about when they screw it up each year. Some of them are making the most of that. At this point, it's become a tradition, albeit a ridiculous one.