Saturday, February 24, 2024

My Response To David Spuria The Real Music Observer Regarding Kansas

My Response To David Spuria The Real Music Observer Regarding Kansas

I have to give credit to David Spuria. He found a niche in talking about classic and melodic rock and roll. No bells and whistles to what he does. He just gets in front of a camera and speaks his mind. Some people don't like that. David has even gotten political, which I'm sure annoys people more.

I don't always agree with what he says, but I respect his opinions. Sometimes I think he's taken stances to stir the pot and brings in negativity on subjects, like beating a dead horse. Sometimes I'm on board 100% with what he says. I agree with him on the Little River Band and Dennis DeYoung, for example.

David was reporting on Phil Ehart having a heart attack. He's taken the stance recently that Kansas should just quit, and I'm really baffled by his attitude. I've watched footage of the band playing some of their vintage stuff, and they are as tight as ever. Furthermore, singer Ronnie Platt is a good fit for this band.

When you're making music as good as Kansas is these days, why quit? I'm aware that with Phil sidelined, there's only one original member and another member who's been with the band for 40 years. However, they do a good job of representing the music, and the fans like to hear a faithful rendition of that music.

In the last decade or so, they've done two albums of original material, The Prelude Implicit and The Absence Of Presence. These albums hearken back to their sound of the 1970s. That's impressive, considering they didn't have Kerry Livgren writing the material, nor did they have Steve Walsh or Robby Steinhardt singing it.

The new music is good, and furthermore, Ronnie sounds good as the lead vocalist. David seems to be a big fan of Jerome Mazza. I don't disagree. Jerome sounds more like Steve Walsh than anybody they could have put in the band. 

When Walsh retired a decade ago, they made an offer to John Elefante. Phil tends to go back to people who have been with the band when he puts somebody else in that position. He's the one who has guided this band from its inception, and he knows what Kansas is. He knows the sound.

They did auditions, and the people who wanted it bad enough showed up on time. It's my understanding that Jerome missed by a day and the band agreed to Ronnie as the singer. He'd been working in a cover band in the Midwest, and he did decent versions of Kansas hits.

I think Phil is a stand-up guy, and a deal is a deal. He was working with the people who made it to the audition in time. Had Jerome made it on time, I wouldn't be surprised if he would be lead singing for the band now. So, when I hear David commenting on the lead singer position, it would be nice if he got his facts straight on why Jerome isn't the singer.

I like that Jerome has worked with Steve since Steve left the band. Black Butterfly is an amazing album, and Jerome's contributions make it that much better. I wouldn't be against him lead singing the band, but he's not in it. Ronnie is. I support Ronnie as the lead singer. When I hear him sing, as a long time Kansas fan, I like it.

David also points out the impressive catalog of music this band has made through the years and gives respect to the other members in this video. I appreciate his acknowledgment that Kansas should be in the Hall of Fame now. This is the reason I like the guy even though I'm disagreeing with him here on a couple of points.

David and I probably agree in our frustration with the way the music industry isn't nurturing bands who play music in the style of those aging bands that are out there on the road. We could have new music by younger artists right now that we'd enjoy, but the music industry is just not in the place they were when those other bands were coming up. They don't promote it anymore.

In any case, we have to understand that these classic rock bands that we enjoy sometimes have to replace lead singers. It disappoints me in certain cases, such as Dennis DeYoung, when they're not allowed back in a band and could make the band that much better. With Kansas, it's gotten to the point where only Phil and Rich Williams wanted to tour.

The others had a chance to keep it going and moved on for various reasons, and that was their choice. Phil is the one who can tell us who Kansas is. He didn't write the hits, but he always knew what sound he intended to present to the fans. I trust him when he puts other artists in this band that it will stay faithful to the Kansas sound.

I would like David to keep this in mind when he's talking about the lead singer of Kansas. Don't make it sound like Kansas didn't want Jerome as the lead singer when he didn't make the audition in time. You can not like Ronnie singing. Vocalist likes and dislikes are a matter of preference.

I also disagree with David when he says the band should quit. The sad state of music right now is such that classic rock bands are touring because people want to hear the hits. When certain members can't do it, resourceful bands will replace them with other people who can deliver the goods. 

Some bands, such as Journey and Foreigner, manage to deliver good vocals with singers who are not the originals. Fans want to pay money to see them and have fun. If that wasn't the case, these old bands wouldn't be doing what they're doing.

I get it. When you get old, people want you to retire and just get in your rocking chair. Some of these people aren't going to do that. Some say that when you decide to get in that rocking chair, you basically give up on living. I'm not going to go speak against any of these bands who do what they love, especially when fans are willing to see them play live.

David's also another one who is a critic of Paul McCartney and his vocals. Yet, when Paul goes on stage, the fans are singing with him. He takes them back in time. They know they're getting Paul McCartney in his '80s, and yet they want to see him and have fun. That's what it's all about.

Most importantly, I'm grateful that Phil Ehart has kept Kansas alive all these years. I know it's taken a toll on his health, and his drum tech, Eric Holmquist, has been there with the band throughout the last tour to do some of the shows. My hope is that Phil has a speedy and full recovery and will be able to get back on the stage again, should that be his desire.

However, I also trust him with this band. He's got a good idea what their sound should be. If Rich decides to retire and feels like no longer touring, I would trust Phil to put a band on tour who gives us a show worthy of the name Kansas. He's done that for 50 years, and I have no reason to doubt him now.