Wednesday, July 1, 2020

New Amazon Prime Series Upload Raises Potentially Interesting Discussions


YouTube videos has become a regular source of entertainment for me these days. I don't currently have a TV set hooked up here and couldn't afford the outrageous cable bill to get the full experience anyway. These days, the model is shifting to different internet streaming sites, including Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime.

I do try to support the content creators that I watch on YouTube by viewing the ads unless they drone on for longer than 2 minutes. In this case, a commercial came on for a a new series that will stream on Amazon Prime. Oftentimes, these advertisements for movies and new series peak my interest. If it's within my budget, I'll even check some of that stuff out. This commercial showed a new series called Upload.

I'm aware of the transhumanist movement we have in the world today. Some people will say it doesn't exist. Some will say that it's for the betterment of mankind. I am suspicious and skeptical of the ways that they want to integrate technology into our everyday lives, and I tend to think it's not necessarily a good thing. It doesn't mean it's all bad, but I believe a lot of it isn't really necessary. By saying that, I'm sure I'll manage to upset a few people who believe in all of this stuff.

I am of the belief that things that have been pushed by people like Ray Kurzweil will become more a part of our reality in the years to come. Integrating technology with biology will become a thing. Artificial Intelligence will become smarter, and this will result in mankind actually having meaningful conversations, friendships and even relationships with AI one day. This is sort of illustrated in a rather entertaining movie with Joaquin Phoenix and Scarlett Johansson called Her.

In this particular series, a man is injured in a crash, and he has a choice to make. This is set sometime in the future, and he can go into surgery or have his essence uploaded into a virtual afterlife. It would be catered to what he wants for his eternity. I'm a little bit interested in what people might think about this sort of future and how it's portrayed, but making this part of our reality doesn't appeal to me at all. I'm not interested in having somebody create my ideal existence in the reality we live in now as my eternity.

I believe this sort of thing is based on our fears about what's next. I believe the more people are attached to this plane of existence and their possessions, the more they will have a fear of the unknown. What happens after we die? I'm sure there are people who have no faith that we continue on beyond this life, and the more afraid they are of that fact, the more they would want to push for this sort of technology to happen. Could this become a real thing in the future? When? 50 years from now? 100 years? 

I know there are people working on this sort of technology, because you can read articles on the subject. People are paying for the opportunity to be uploaded into a computer to live on from there. Whether the technology exists or not, they are hoping that this is possible. Some will maintain that some sort of procedure is possible. They will say that it's not actually you but a computer's representation of you that in some respects might even fool people into thinking it is you. However, they claim that you will actually die when the procedure happens.

Consider the possibility that you don't die. I am a believer in God or a Creator who made us all. We are not a cosmic accident, and the very fact that we can communicate our hopes and dreams and experience the world around us is a miracle in itself. I won't attribute that to a specific religion as I believe religion serves the negative of dividing the people just as much as some of the good that it does such as helping the less fortunate. Suffice it to say, I'm a believer that we go on into a whole new existence that we may not understand from here to there.

Consider that the procedure to upload your essence or your soul into a computer is possible. You are dividing yourself from the Creator at that point, and you're also allowing your soul to be controlled in some respect by whoever it is that creates the computer program. Who might that be? Could that be the devil or whatever you want to call it? Could it be the force that seeks to control everything on planet Earth, and could herding as many souls as possible into a computer program be part of their grand plan?

I'm okay with dying and leaving this world behind. Survival instinct will surely kick in and bring me a little bit of fear, but I know I will get past that and embrace what comes next. Others I have known and loved have done the same. I have faith that it's not the end, but what if it does end with my death and there is nothing beyond that? Would it hurt me? I simply won't feel or know anything at that point. It will be into the void of nothingness for me, and I will no longer exist.

However, if my faith and belief is correct, I'll be going to another place beyond this. I'd rather go there than into some sort of fake existence created by man in the hopes of maintaining a type of reality that I know already. Considering what mankind does to each other in this society, I've come to believe that it doesn't really matter in the bigger scheme of the universe. We are more than we can even begin to realize as we live our lives here, but we are meant to learn more in the next life.

As a series idea, Upload has much potential for entertainment. Is this person communicating with other actual souls in the computer or are they in their own specific reality with AI communicating with them? Can they communicate with the outside world? From the commercial, it appears that this is the case. It will probably interest some people, and it could also inspire some meaningful conversation, just as the movie Her did when it came out. I might be interested in watching this show, but the actual reality that it proposes doesn't appeal to me at all.