Thursday, October 23, 2014

The Shows I Like Always Get Canceled

I have the worst luck when it comes to TV shows. Every time I start watching a new show, it gets canceled. It can be very frustrating trying to get into a new show when you wonder if it will be given a fair chance to evolve. I know everybody has had this happen to them. These are some of the shows I’ve enjoyed that were canceled early.

It never fails.  I start watching a show on TV, and it gets canceled.  It gets frustrating to me.  I don’t like reality TV, and I don’t care for the cop and detective shows out there.  That eliminates a big chunk of the shows out there with new content.  Frankly, if I had a time machine, I’d be hard pressed not to go back in time and stop MTV from ever airing The Real World.  It is to TV what Kurt Cobain was to Rock & Roll.  Sorry, not a Nirvana fan, though at least I respect them.

Reality TV is lowering the IQ of the country.  I know I probably have upset a few people here, but that’s how I feel.  You’ll probably say that I have no room to talk since I watch Days Of Our Lives and will watch All My Children online when it starts, but at least it’s new TV with stories.  I’ve been known to watch HSN and QVC as well a Pro Wrestling (I know it’s predetermined.  Notice I didn’t say fake since they do get hurt?).  So, I guess it’s a matter of taste.

So, when a show with an interesting premise comes along, I start watching.  I know it’s a matter of time before it’s canceled if I really like it, but I cant resist.  There was a show called Madman Of The People with Dabney Coleman.  I’m a fan of his.  I loved him in the movie Short Time and his old series Buffalo Bill.  I’m convinced he pissed somebody off in Hollywood.  Madman Of The People was another sitcom he starred in, and it was top ten rated.  Then, they replaced it with Friends and banished Madman to Saturdays, where it died.

TV doesn’t have enough good sitcoms these days, though there are a few.  Rob Schneider had a show called Men Behaving Badly.  I liked that show.  Canceled.  William Shatner did a show called Bleep My Dad Says.  This was expected to be a train wreck, but it was actually pretty funny.  Screw the “professional” TV Critics.  I don’t need to be told what to like.  Canceled.  Remember that show Cavemen, based on the commercials?  It wasn’t really that bad.  Canceled.

I always liked John Larroquette.  Come on now, Dan Fielding on Night Court?  Funniest show on that famous Thursday night lineup.  Then, he had the John Larroquette show, a comedy about a recovering alcoholic.  It was good until the execs “retooled” it to make it better.  Canceled.  He did a show called Happy Family.  This show struggled out of the gate, but it was actually good.  The ladies were a highlight, and Melanie Paxson should have her own show, not just commercials.  Canceled.

The one that really pisses me off is Nowhere Man.  This show was about a man named Thomas Veil who had his past stolen from him because of a picture he took in South America called Hidden Agenda.  Lots of twists and turns.  Canceled.  UPN blew it with that as well as canceling Enterprise when it started getting good.  We’ll never know what was really going on with Thomas Veil, and that’s disappointing to me.  By the way, it’s time for a new Star Trek series set maybe 60 years in the future after The Next Generation.

NBC had Journeyman about a time traveler named Dan Vasser, who went back in time and didn’t really have control of it.  Lots of potential.  Canceled.  The latest show I liked, 666 Park Avenue, starred Terry O’Quinn and Vanessa Williams, among others.  Terry’s done lots of stuff, and he was good as the psychotic wanna be father whistling “Camp Town Racers” after killing the families he married into as The Stepfather.

666 Park Avenue centered around a fancy apartment building in New York with a dark secret.  The building had a life of it’s own, and Terry’s character tapped into that and used it to his advantage.  Canceled.  Can’t I have one show that I really like in this world dominated by reality TV?  No wonder I don’t watch TV every day.  I just can’t handle the crap.  With all of the channels we have these days, you’d think there would be better programming.