Sunday, October 19, 2014

Five Bands Who Lift My Spirits

Sometimes when you're down and nothing seems to be going right, it's the music that can cheer you up.  So, most of us have those "go to" bands that lift our spirits a little bit.  I can't imagine a world without music.  I wish the music industry wasn't so screwed up right now, but that's a side issue.  We all have songs or bands that put us in a better mood.  Here are some of mine.

Transatlantic:  Really, it's Neal Morse, who is a part of this band and was a founding member of Spock's Beard.  When I got the recent news of what was happening at a blog I have been with for a year and a half now, I was pretty upset.  Neal is a Christian, and though I don't claim to be, I like his music.  Transatlantic, on the other hand, is more spiritual.  Great progressive rock.  I love their album, The Whirlwind.

However, it's a song Neal did with Spock's Beard that I turned to the other day.  Its called, The Water.  Kind of a vibe about being on top of the world and then having it all come crashing down.  Feeling abandoned and then just launching into anger.    The "F You" part of this long song had me singing along.  Of course, it's followed by an apology.  The song lifted my spirits the other day.

Kansas:  The early, spiritual and more progressive band is my favorite time for them.  Songs like All The World, Apercu, Miracles Out Of Nowhere and Hopelessly Human.  It's the violin of Robby Steinhardt that gets me.  Steve Walsh and Robby's vocal harmonies.  The musicianship of this band.  People know Dust In The Wind, and it's a good song.  But, there's so much more to this band than that song.

Queen:  I can honestly not stay sad when I listen to his band.  Well, accept for Innuendo. Knowing what Freddie Mercury was dealing with when they recorded that album makes it hard to keep from crying sometimes.  But, early Queen.  Rock Opera Queen is amazing.  The Ferry Feller's Master Stroke makes my cry from happiness.  The Prophet Song. Lily Of The Valley, The White Queen and of course, March Of The Black Queen.  Queen II is my favorite album.  Really, you can't go wrong with this band.

The Flower Kings:  Really, all I have to say is The Garden Of Dreams.  Roine Stolt is an amazing melodic guitarist here and with Transatlantic, and I've grown to enjoy his vocals.  "All We Can Save Is The Love That We've Made" says it all. Flower Power is a great album.

Styx:  You want optimism?  Turn to Styx.  Catchy tunes, great music and harmonies.  When it was the five who played from Crystal Ball to Kilroy Was Here, this band was great.  Very underrated by the music snobs.  Come Sail Away is a song for me and a dear friend.  I'm Okay.  That song is for those who are tired of being told how to be.  The Grand Illusion, Best Of Times, Fooling Yourself.  Dennis DeYoung remains one of my favorite singers and musicians.  It makes me sad to see how he and the talented Tommy Shaw and James Young may never work together again.

Anyway, there are other bands that can cheer me up, but these five rank high for me.