Thursday, December 7, 2023

My Top 5 Of Robin Williams Movies

My Top 5 Of Robin Williams Movies


Robin Williams has made a lot of memorable movies through the years that I have enjoyed. He's always been a man who could get a laugh out of people, but he had a serious side too. I've always regarded him as one of the most talented male actors.

He's made over 50 movies, and there have been some real gems. I will not attempt to make a "Best Of Robin Williams" list, but rather a list of my Top 5 favorite movies of his. I'm sure something will be missing that others will have, but this is my list.

I give honorable mention to Patch Adams and Awakenings. In the former, he's a doctor who uses humor when dealing with sick patients, and in the latter he is using an experimental drug to get patients out of a catatonic state. I can't let this go without acknowledging Dead Poet's Society or Good Will Hunting. They are both good, but there were others I liked better.

Also, there was Club Paradise about a man who owns a run down resort in Jamaica. In The Birdcage, he plays a gay father who is meeting his son's fiance. Her father happens to be a conservative politician. This was a good movie and list worthy. Perhaps I should have made this a Top 10?

5 (tie)-Mrs. Doubtfire: His wife is filing for divorce and taking the kids. He's not about to give up, so he dresses up and becomes the kids nanny as Mrs. Doubtfire. It's a funny movie with heart, and he's done quite a few of those. This may be his best.

5-(tie)-Jumanji: Nice little fantasy movie where he plays this board game that has very real dangers. On a bad roll, he gets sucked into the board, but two new kids start playing the unfinished game and make a roll that brings him back some 25 years later. This is a fun movie the family can enjoy, as is #4.

4-Hook: He plays Peter Pan all grown up and with a corporate job. He's lost touch with that kid who never wanted to grow up, but he's called back to Neverland when Captain Hook kidnaps his two kids. Robin was brilliant in this role.

3-Good Morning Vietnam: He plays a D.J. for the troops during the Vietnam War. He uses humor that the top brass doesn't exactly find funny, so they try to get him to tone it down. He also discovers the human face of the people of Vietnam. This is vintage Robin.

2-The Best Of Times: In this one, Robin plays a man who has lived with the regret that he dropped the winning pass in the big high school football game. It's years later, and he decides to organize a reunion game. Will he make up for that dropped pass? This is an underrated movie, but one of my favorites.

1-What Dreams May Come: I loved this movie. When his wife commits suicide, she's in a hell of her own creation in the afterlife. When he dies, he literally travels to that hell to save her. He would do anything to be with his soul mate. Some critics hated this movie. I think it's his best. That's saying something, because there are several other movies of his that are list worthy.

He really was a great entertainer, and I think it's just so sad that he's no longer here to make new movies. I loved his Teddy Roosevelt in A Night At The Museum, and he reprised that role in the third installment of that franchise. It will be released later this year.