Monday, April 17, 2023

Why Matrix Resurrections Was A Good Movie, And Why The Matrix Needed No Sequels

 

Why Matrix Resurrections Was A Good Movie, And Why The Matrix Needed No Sequels


First of all, I want to say that this isn't going to be a typical movie review. I will speak on a few aspects of Matrix Resurrections that I thought were good. I will speak on why The Matrix was a good enough movie on its own that needed no sequel. I will also speak on Lana Wachowski and the fact that I think she put the franchise back on track with this movie.

Let's start with Lana. I am proud of this woman, who is an inspiration to the transgender community. I'm sure I'll upset people who would rather I not talk about this, but Lana is such an inspiration to me and others in the trans community. The Matrix is the movie that put her and her sister Lilly on the map. Obviously, the fact that there could be more money to be made is a good enough reason to return to this franchise, but I think what she did was take the story and put it back on the right track. This was a good movie.

While I thought the second and third Matrix movies were visually impressive, I didn't really care for the story being told. The Matrix itself was such a good movie, and it felt like the premise offered up in that movie was abandoned for something much different. I think one of the reasons why people are divided on this franchise is because the first movie and the second and third movies were so different. If a sequel really needed to be made, it should have stuck closer to what was offered in the first movie. I will return to that thought, but I want to talk about why I thought this movie was the second best movie in the franchise.

It was good to see Keanu Reeves and Carrie Ann Moss reprise their roles. At the heart of The Matrix franchise is the love story between Neo and Trinity, and I felt that they did a good job of capturing that here. The cast is impressive. Neil Patrick Harris takes a role as the main antagonist, and he does an exceptional job here. We see the characters of Morpheus and Smith. Neither Lawrence Fishburne nor Hugo Weaving were cast in this movie. 

I understand Fishburne was interested, but Weaving had another obligation. The depiction of Morpheus was fine, and the new actor did a good job. However, the absence of Weaving in this movie was noticeable. He did such an amazing job in the previous three movies that he was missed in this one.
 
Basically, the Morpheus we knew from the previous movies wasn't alive, so this was another version of him. We're supposed to believe that the person on the screen calling himself Smith is the same Smith, and the absence of Weaving doesn't help that.

I didn't think too much about this in the previous three movies, but something struck me during the first 50 minutes of this movie. The Matrix in this movie felt more like a world that would keep the humans' minds occupied and mentally engaged while they were trapped in the pods. It felt like a real world and not just a place filled with props for Neo and the others to knock down like bowling pins.
 
I got sort of a Last Action Hero vibe from this portion of the movie as there were references to the fact that The Matrix was a franchise. In this case, Tom Anderson (Neo) was the creator of a series of video games called The Matrix. This was well executed in my opinion.

Another aspect I liked about this movie was the fact that some machines and the humans alive outside of The Matrix were aligned. I did not like the direction the second and third movies went, but if we are to take that at face value, there should have been at least some machines aligned with the humans who were resisting The Matrix. I thought it was a nice touch to have some machines helping the humans survive on the outside. The humans on the outside have given up on Zion and created a new homeland. Some of the machines live alongside them.

I'm not doing an analysis of the movie itself. There's quite a bit I could get into, but I'm just talking about aspects of this movie that helped me enjoy it. These are reasons why I feel this was the best of the three sequels. I like that the story of Neo and Trinity is a love story, and the point was driven home more in this movie.
 
Most of us were under the impression that Neo and Trinity were dead after the third movie, but we find out that they are alive. It's explained why that is, and I felt that the explanation was plausible within the confines of The Matrix universe.

The Architect isn't going to debate with the Oracle over how the Matrix should be run. Both are out of the picture, replaced by The Psychiatrist, played by Neil Patrick Harris. I have to say that Neil has had some memorable roles throughout his career, and this one ranks high among them. 
 
The character is basically running The Matrix now and has a new way of doing things. Neo and Trinity figured prominently in those plans. The alliance forged at the end of the third Matrix movie has been done away with. That could prove to be trouble for those on the outside, although there seems to be peace at this time. 

The movie held my attention from start to finish, and I liked the things mentioned above. People might have been wondering how there could even be a fourth movie after the way the third one ended, but I thought the writing explained that pretty well. The actors for the most part did a good job in their roles. 
 
I felt like the story was executed well, and I give a lot of credit to Lana as one of the writers and the director. I know there are people being critical of this movie, but it's isn't a terrible movie. It may not have done as well as it could have at the box office given the time we were going through and the fact that it was also available for streaming on HBO Max.

The main thing I felt this movie needed to do was put the franchise back on the right track. I don't think the second and third movies, which really didn't need to be made, left the franchise in a good place. What this movie did was pick up the pieces, put the story back together again and leave it pretty much in the same place the first movie ended. 
 
It's almost like we have a do over here, and maybe Lana has done some thinking. This is just speculation, but if she is planning to do any more of these movies, I'm thinking she might have a better idea of where to take it that might build up support once again.

This movie was very self-aware during the first act. We had references to the fact that The Matrix was a franchise. It's almost like a nod to the actual impact that this franchise had on popular culture. 
 
People talk about being red pilled, which means being woken up to something that's happening that is a paradigm shift. The phrase came from this movie. 
 
Bullet time was a game change for movie special effects. That first movie was visually stunning, but the actual story being told in the first movie was something different that demanded attention.

What we had with the first movie was a slow burn. I don't know if the studio knew at the time that they had a hit on their hands, but people started to get on board. I don't really care what was said, I don't believe that there were sequels planned when the first movie was being made. 
 
You can look at the way the first movie ended, and the story was pretty much over. However, if a sequel needed to be made, we didn't get what we should have gotten. That's why ending the fourth movie the way they did makes me feel like they have a new plan for how to go about it.

When you look at it, Neo won his battle in the first movie and let the machines know that he was going to wake the people up to the truth. The second movie should have been about that effort and how things were going. Obviously, there would have been resistance to being pulled into the world that awaited the people outside The Matrix. There would have been resistance from the machines. 
 
I really don't feel like this was the story we got in the second and third movies. It was more about whether we have free will or not and that sort of stuff. Was Neo really "The One" in a spiritual savior sort of way or was he just a tool to be used by the machines to maintain control? That's the biggest reason why the audience slowly abandoned the franchise and it took nearly 20 years to come back to it with another movie.

While I don't believe sequels needed to be made for The Matrix, Matrix Resurrections justified its existence in the way the story unfolded. I can't really say the same for the second and third movies. I'm not sure what measuring stick this movie will be put up against to determine whether a fifth installment will be made. 
 
I can only say that I was hoping this movie would put the franchise back on the right track. It managed to accomplish the task. Therefore, I am interested in a fifth movie and where things might go. I have a hunch that Lana will do it right this time if they give her a chance.