Friday, April 28, 2017

If I Owned A TV Station


Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to own a TV station. I could broadcast whatever I wanted. I'm reminded of the comedy UHF, which starred Weird Al Yankovic. He took over his uncle's TV station, and after some creative programming, the channel becomes a success.

Part of me would want to do a music video channel like we used to have with MTV. Concert footage, interviews and music from all sorts of bands. I wouldn't stick just with what are supposedly the hits. There would be room for all kinds of music. Then again, maybe I'd settle for an hour or two every day.

I'd love to give some exposure to some of the amazing creations that are on the internet. People can't see some of these shows unless they look for them. On my channel, its as easy as hitting a remote control. There's lots of stuff I'd like people to see. Shows like Journey Quest, Standard Action, Space Janitors, The Guild and so much more.

People work hard to put that stuff out there. It deserves to be seen. I'd love to get Star Trek Continues on TV as well as the Lord Of The Rings inspired movie Born Of Hope. Then again, this might be more of a challenge to get on TV because the fans who created them don't own the rights to the characters.

I'd love to create some shows myself. Use a local theater and actors and start creating shows and long plays, film them and put them up there. Comedies, dramas and all sorts of good entertainment. Maybe even a daily soap opera. I'd love to do this thing differently.

I'd have a news program, but we wouldn't follow the scripts the other local stations use. We'd get in there and investigate things. We'd ask questions. We'd do our best to cover the things that mater to the community, so I would want reporters who weren't afraid to get out there and really report.

It's a shame it takes so much money to run an independent TV station. I bet I could do it right. We need some fresh ideas now more than ever. Too much of what's out there is copying and following the leader. Not enough innovation, in my opinion.